Code of Conduct
Mpls Jr Devs is dedicated to providing a welcoming, inclusive community. We come from all kinds of backgrounds with life stories and circumstances, and our diversity is our strength. We are here for support, camaraderie, and to help each other as we further our journeys.
We welcome and support people of all backgrounds and identities. This includes, but is not limited to members of any race, ethnicity, culture, national origin, color, immigration status, social and economic class, educational level, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, size, family status, political belief, religion, and mental and physical ability.
We are a community of professionals, and we conduct ourselves professionally. Be kind to others. Do not insult or put down other participants. Harassment and other exclusionary behavior aren't acceptable, and will not be tolerated in any form.
This includes, but will not be limited to:
- Violent threats or language directed against another person.
- Discriminatory jokes and language.
- Posting sexually explicit or violent material.
- Deliberate misgendering or use of ‘dead’ or rejected names.
- Physical contact or simulated physical contact without consent or after a request to stop.
- Deliberate intimidation.
- Stalking or following.
- Harassing photography or recording, including logging online activity for harassment purposes.
- Sustained disruption of talks or discussion.
- Unwelcome sexual attention.
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease.
- Deliberate “outing” of any aspect of a person’s identity without their consent except as necessary to protect vulnerable people from intentional abuse.
- Publication of non-harassing private communication.
Mpls Jr Devs prioritizes marginalized people’s safety over privileged people’s comfort. Mpls Jr Devs organizers reserve the right not to act on complaints regarding:
- ‘Reverse’ -isms, including ‘reverse racism’ and ‘reverse sexism’
- Reasonable communication of boundaries, such as “leave me alone,” “go away,” or “I’m not discussing this with you.”
- Criticizing racist, sexist, or otherwise oppressive behavior or assumptions
If you are being harassed by a member of Mpls Jr Devs, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact the Mpls Jr Devs organizers at email@example.com. If the person who is harassing you is on the organizing team, they will recuse themselves from handling your incident. We will respond as promptly as we can.
This code of conduct applies to Mpls Jr Devs spaces, but if you are being harassed by a member of Mpls Jr Devs outside our spaces, we still want to know about it. We will take all good-faith reports of harassment by Mpls Jr Devs members, especially Mpls Jr Devs organizers, seriously. This includes harassment outside our spaces and harassment that took place at any point in time. The abuse team reserves the right to exclude people from Mpls Jr Devs based on their past behavior, including behavior outside Mpls Jr Devs spaces and behavior towards people who are not in Mpls Jr Devs.
In order to protect volunteers from abuse and burnout, we reserve the right to reject any report we believe to have been made in bad faith. Reports intended to silence legitimate criticism may be deleted without response.
We will respect confidentiality requests for the purpose of protecting victims of abuse. At our discretion, we may publicly name a person about whom we’ve received harassment complaints, or privately warn third parties about them, if we believe that doing so will increase the safety of Mpls Jr Devs members or the general public. We will not name harassment victims without their affirmative consent.
Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately. If a participant engages in harassing behavior, Mpls Jr Devs organizers may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including expulsion from all Mpls Jr Devs spaces and identification of the participant as a harasser to other Mpls Jr Devs members or the general public.BACK